Located only ½ mile offshore from Munising this island is 9 miles long and up to 3 miles wide with many beaches, sea caves, arches, cliffs, and wildlife abounds. Same geology as the Pictured Rocks. The first Settlers came to the Island in the early 1800’s when trading for furs was the prime industry. Evidence of this activity is still apparent there. The first permanent settlers arrived in 1846, setting up a trading post there to trade with the Ojibway Indians.